Explore Your Future
with Japan Future Center

Living in Japan

Before deciding to study in Japan, there will have many questions in our minds, how much will the food, housing, tuition fees and clothes cost me? Will I able to adapt the lifestyle? What if I become sick? Just think all of these, will feel doubt to go to Japan. Don't worry! We provide needed information to make your life in Japan is easier.

When arrived in Japan at the first time, there are several things that need to be handled and owned, such as:



Residence Card Japan

Every foreigner who stays more than 90 days (3 months) in Japan must have Residence Card (formerly called Allien Registration Card) or in Japanese called Zairyu Kado (在留カード) or just like KTP (ID card) in Indonesian.

To obtain Residence Card is very easy. You can have it when you arrived at the first time in Japan's airport such as Haneda, Narita, Chubu and Kansai (besides the mentioned airport, must apply the Residence Card at city hall or local immigration bureau in Japan). When you process at immigration bureau in airport, just show passport, fingerprint and take a picture, you can obtain the Residence Card instantly.

Residence Card with this new system has several advantages, besides an easy process to obtain the card, the maximum period of stay is up to 5 years (previously only until 3 years), doesn't need the re-entry permit because it is obtained automatically, with a note when you leave Japan, be sure to present your Residence Card and tick the column indicating your intention of departure by the Special Re-entry Permit System on an embarkation card for Special Re-entry Permit.

After getting a Residence Card at the airport, within 14 days you have to go to the nearest city hall in order to registry and report the place to stay during in Japan.

For detail information regarding Residence Card and special Re-entry permit with new system, please klik here.




Place to stay is the most important thing during studying in Japan. Foreign students usually live in school's dormitory, share house/apartment or mansion.

Living in university or school's dormitories have the advantages, such as the cost per month is relatively cheaper if compared with rent fee of apartment or mansion, do not need to buy furniture and electronic equipment, can make friends from different countries. Therefore you have to make sure first to the desired university or school whether provide dormitory or not. If dormitory is available, you have to make sure how much the cost? Is it near school? How many persons in one room? So you will able to calculate the cost. However, dormitories also have inherent limitation that the number of rooms is limited and can only stay for one year. Therefore students must prepare to look for another place to live.

 In regards with looking for place to stay, you can ask to foreign students consulting, internet, magazine or real estate agent. For you reference, also can cek website www.japan-future.com which is our company in Japan that also can help you to introduce accomodation for foreign students.

Rental fee or apartment/mansion is different depending on the distance from the train station and the age of the building.  When you sign the lease agreement, you must pay a deposit, key money, rent payment etc.

                            Japanese dorm (room)    Kitchen dorm    Toilet dorm

Based on data from JASSO, estimation of room rent with area 9,6 sqm in Tokyo is

Room only (public washroom) under 40,000 yen

Attached kitchen and toilets around 40,000 yen

Attached bathroom around 60,000 yen

Attached AC, restroom, bathroom around 66,000 yen



JP Post bank bookEvery foreigner is able to open bank account in Japan as long as they hold the Residence Card. Some banks require personal stamp (inkan). Most of banks do not ask fo minimum deposit to open an account. After opening the account, you will get account book on the sam day and ATM card will be sent by post.

ATM machines in Japan are operating in varying hours depending on the location and the bank. By using ATM machines in Japan, we can do all kinds of banking transactions such as account book printing, deposit money directly through the machine, etc. Therefore, usually after opening a bank account we would very rarely go back to the bank office, except for administrative purposes such as change of address or close the account.

The instructions on ATMs are usually written in Japanese character (Kanji). For reference, here is the panel or the buttons on the ATM machine.

お預け入れ         : Deposit

お引き出し         : Withdrawal

お振込み              : Transfer to another account

お振り替え         : Transfer to another owned account (if have 2 accounts)

通長記入              : Account book printing

残高照会              : Sisa uang

Enter your ATM card and PIN number. If you choose a withdrawal transaction, enter the desired amount of money (attention: on the panel will be listed kanji 千 (multiples of 1000) and 万 (multiples of 10,000). Also able enter the amount of money it manually by pressing the number keys).

To finisish the transaction, choose following button:

確認       : Confirmed

訂正       : Correction

取消       : Cancel

If you want to close the account, just bring your ATM card, account book, residence card, and inkan (if needed) to the nearest branch office.

*) Inkan or hanko, or seal is used as substitute of a signature. For foreigners or foreign students, using seal are alternatives. However, it would be better to prepare it. We can write the nick name with katakana and submit it to the store that is making hanko.

         japanese seal   atm japan   ufj bank



insurance cardThe cost of medical and treatment in Japan is very expensive if not assisted by insurance. For foreigners who are living in Japan for 3 months or more, are required to enter into the Public Health Insurance. The monthly fee is determined by region, income, etc.

If you have entered the insurance, you will get an insurance card. Insurance card will be updated annually and will be sent to the registered address. When presenting the card at a health clinic or hospital, you are entitled to pay only 30% payment of the actual medical expense. But please note, there is some treatment that is the exception of health insurance, so we have to bear the entire expense.

Please register the insurance at local government office / municipal city office in your residential area, and it can be done at the same time when you report your residential address.



For students who live in Japan for 1 year or more, and want to buy a mobile phone, there are some things that need to be known.

                             handphone jepang       garakeitai

In principle mobilephones in Japan are postpaid. Buy mobile phones including phone number, so you can't change the simcard as well. The bill/invoice will come once a month and can be paid at nearby convenience stores (kombini) such as Seven Eleven etc, or auto-debet from bank account.

Buying a mobilephone means buying provider, there are 3 commonly used providers such as Softbank, AU KDDI and NTT DoCoMo.

Mobilephone is purchased with a specific period agreement system, usually for 2 years. So you must prepare ID (residence card) and bank account book. Then, if the user unsubscribes before the contract expires, the user is required to pay a penalty in a certain amount.

Please check following link as reference in regards with mobilephones in Japan.



 For students who do not want to buy a mobilephone since living in Japan for a while or other reasons, there are several ways:

«  Bring a mobilephone + simcard from Indonesia.

It can be used as long as the mobilephone can support minimum 3G (2100MHz). But, Provider that can be used only provider which is cooperating with provider in Japan. But unfortunately, the applicable tariff is international roaming rates.

Nowadays, communication can be done with the line, whatsapp, skype etc. which only requires the internet. If you are using smartphone with wifi, you can use it by borrow wifi pocket at the airport.

«  Bring mobilephone Indonesia that support minimum 3G and use simcard Japan.

You can buy prepaid simcard. The price is around 3,000 yen or 5,000 yen valid for 60 days. But, it has some disadvantages such as internet service is only available for supported devices and the tariff is extraordinarily expensive (16yen / 6 sec), email service for mobilephones outside Japan seems unable to be used because it requires a special application, sms only with same provider.

After having all administrative above, we can study in peace. Studying in Japan can make you undertand Japanese as well as Japan's lifestyle, habit and culture. Although some people said that the cost of living in Japan is very expensive, in fact that is not 100% true, why? Because there are many ways to anticipate life in Japan carefully and even could be covered by working part-time or arubaito.



For students who want to work part-time, must have a work permit. The permit can be obtained at the immigration bureau. Needed Documents is only the passport and residence card and fill out the provided form.

For newcomers who will stay with the status of "College Student" and certainly will pass through March, can register work permit while landing at the airport or port. Work permit is a sticker that is affixed to the passport.

Work permit will be obtained with the condition: do not disturbing the main purpose as a student, only to seek additional funding, do not work that is violating ethics of society and the number of working hours is no more than 28 hours / week. However, with the wages around 800-1,200 yen/hour, we've been able to get enough income. Please note, if you work without permit or violate the condition that mentioned above, it is possible to be deported.

Foreign students usually work part time at restaurant, convenience store, supermarket, even famous hotel. To get information of part-time job, you can search through the Internet, magazines, pamphlets etc. In order to apply the job, you have to preparing CV, residence card, bank account book, passport (to see the work permits) and Inkan (if required).

The format of CV can be purchased at convenience store (kombini) such as Seven Eleven, etc or downloaded at http://www.rirekisyodo.com/01downloadr_dl.html

The benefits of working part-time are not only getting more money, but also improve the ability of communication and make new friends. 

                                part time 1     part time 2


There are many ways to gather the corect and latest information about education and study in Japan, such as:

1.     Come and contact our office, Japan Future Center.

2.     Come to annually educational fair that is conducted by JASSO and some of high schools in Jakarta. We also have a plan to conduct educational fair, so please check latest news at our website to find out the schedule.



 When choosing your language school in Japan, you should consider their language school program. If you want to continue your study in university after your graduation, choose language school that provides EJU and JLPT program which will be useful for your university entrance preparation.


Japanese language school plays an important role in your academic and daily life in Japan. If you study in Japan, you can achieve your japanese language proficiency level 2 in 1 or 2 years. That is one of our reason to provide you with language school information in Japan. You can search it here.


The admission for language school in Japan separated in 4 period: April, July, October, and January. Below are steps and schedule before you enroll in language school in Japan for April and October admission.




 There are several university types in Japan: National university, public university, and private university. There are no university rank in Japan, though you still can find several datas about university ranks which based in several category, such as most foreign students university, etc.


Before you start choosing university, you are adviced to get to know what kind of major you want to pursue and the university entrance requirements. University in Japan usually requires the applicant to submit their EJU result and JLPT level 1 or 2 as the entrance requirements. Achieveing JLPT level 2 is not an easy thing. Thus, we recommend you to pursue your language ability in Japanese language school, as the prepartion to enroll in Japanese university.

We provide detailed informations about every university that located in Japan prefecture. You can search it here.


As additional, below are steps and schedules that you have to prepare before enroll in Japanese university. You can follow this steps while pursuing your study in language school in Japan.



If you have any difficulties in school fees, do not worry. There are many scholarships available for foreign students who want to study in Japan, such as:

1.     Scholarship from Japanese government that is called Monbukagakusho or MEXT


2.     Scholarship from local government in Japan


3.     Scholarship from Indonesia government

- Unggulan : http://beasiswaunggulan.kemdiknas.go.id/

- LPDP : http://www.beasiswalpdp.org/

- DIKTI : http://beasiswa.dikti.go.id/

4.     Scholarship from JASSO and private institution such as foundation, company etc.



5.     Scholarship from university / reduction or exemption of tuition fee.

This kind of scholarship usually can apply when you arrived in Japan.

6. Scholarship from each Japanese Language School as reward for student who reached achievement.

This kind of scholarship usually can apply when you arrived in Japan.

 Besides the above scholarship, there is also a reward from Language Schools in Japan with conditions that the students must diligent and get the highest score in the class.



Before move to Japan, ensure who is your guarantor is higly recommeded. Why? Because the data of guarantor is usually required when apply a school or university, apartment rental contract and apply part-time job.

Guarantor must be able financially because they have to bear the financial risk if the student can not pay for tuition, can not pay rent and if students have problem. 


After obtaining a bachelor's degree, you can continue the study to a higher education level or plunge into the world of work. For foreigners who graduated from school/university in Japan, they have some advantages such as:

1. Mastering at least 2 languages that is Japanese and mother tongue.

2. A bridge to build to international business

3. Understanding Japanese culture and culture from outside of Japan

With all of these advantages, there are many opportunities to reach the success.


Working in Japan

Most of companies in Japan accept foreigners as their employee. It happened because Japan has society problem named shoshika (decreased rate of birth). Moreover, foreigners have some advantages that is mentioned above.

If already got the job, you have to change your visa's status become stay permit for work. In case, you still don't have a job until the time of graduation, then you still have to change your status become Designated Activity which is residence permit for whom looking for a job, valid for 6 months and can be renewed for 1 time only.

How to find a job in Japan? Please be calm, our company in Japan, will help you to find the job. You may check the website www.japan-future.com


Working in Home Country

If you do not want to continue to live in Japan, you can return to your home country with carry enough capability to work at company in Indonesia.

Japan's company that is investing in Indonesis is increasingly as well as jobs opportunities. However, only someone who has special skills and qualification that can easily accepted by the company. Someone who graduated from school/university in Japan will get extra attention.

Moreover, nowadays there are so many company and website that can help you to find the job. Hence, don't be afraid of not getting a job. 

Japanese culture such as Origami, chanoyu, Ikebana, Shodo, kimono, Kabuki, etc., is already known by whole country in the world. Actually, many events in Indonesia also use the theme of Indonesia-Japan. Even so, there are many others Japanese cultural privilege that must be seen and experienced personally by coming directly to Japan.

We also provide information regarding Sightseeing and Culture in every prefecture in Japan,  for your reference you may click here for Hokkaido or here for Tokyo and other prefecture that you can find it by click the Japan's Map